The Role Designer dashboard and matrix views in Visual Identity Suite allow users with RoleDesigner permissions to analyze and design roles for access to a resource in your organization.
Users with RoleDesigner permissions should use this guide to define user roles and entitlements for your organization.
- User account with RoleDesigner permissions
- Entitlement Mapping .csv file uploaded
The Visual Identity Suite application is supported on the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
Role Designer dashboard
The Role Designer dashboard allows users with RoleDesigner permissions to easily design and define user roles and entitlements for your organization. The high visibility of these roles in a graphical matrix offers improved compliance, provisioning, and security posture.
Role definitions and user mapping detail data can be exported in .csv format on the dashboard from the Export tab.
On the Role Designer dashboard, from the Design tab, you can design and define roles for user access to a resource in your organization. Before you can design roles, at minimum, the Entitlement Mapping .csv data must already be uploaded from the Admin dashboard.
Access to the Role Designer dashboard > Design tab requires a user account with RoleDesigner permissions.
Steps to design a role
1. Log in to Visual Identity Suite.
2. From the left pane, click the Role Designer view, then the Design tab.
3. To filter your matrix view, choose one or both of the following buttons:
Views – filters matrix view by departments, job titles, managers, and target directories
For example, to view only the user accounts and entitlements assigned to the Customer Success department
Roles – filters matrix view by role
For example, to view only the user accounts and entitlements assigned to the Customer Success Role. When you select a role from the Roles category panel, an overlay displays with the role name.
Tip: To choose more than one item in each category panel, press CTRL while selecting multiple items.
Note: The search box is case-sensitive; for example, "HR" must be typed as is instead of "hr". If you are not getting the desired results, verify that your search text is entered correctly.
4. To assign users and entitlements to a new role do the following:
- Select a row or column. To select more than one row or column, press CTRL+click for multiple selections or SHIFT+click for a continuous range.
- To remove a specific user or entitlement before saving the role, click the "x" button for each user or entitlement in the Role Designer panel below the matrix.
5. Click Save to name the role and enter a description.
The new role is added to Roles panel.
Exporting roles and mapping data
Defined roles can be exported into an output file for use in other applications to save time in assigning entitlements for user access in the future. In the Export view, for each role, the number of users and entitlements are displayed in a list format.
Access to the Role Designer dashboard > Export tab requires a user account with RoleDesigner permissions.
Steps to export roles and mapping data
1. From the Role Designer dashboard, select the Export tab.
2. To view more details about a specific role, select that row from the All Roles list in the top half of the page.
Detailed information about the selected role displays in the Role Details section in the bottom half of the page. It includes user and entitlement data associated with the selected role.
3. By default, all roles are selected to be included in the output file; for any rows you do not want to include in the output file, clear the check boxes.
4. Select either of the two export options:
- Click Export Roles button generate a report with detailed data about role ID, role description, entitlement ID, and target ID.
- Click Export Mapping button generate a report with data about user IDs assigned to role IDs.
Questions? Contact us
Phone: +1 678-304-4485